This year we are taking Einsteins words of wisdom to heart, as we welcome all young minds to represent their homeschool and unleash their imagination through our year-long Creative Writing Challenge! This is your opportunity to make your mark as a young writer and turn dreams into reality. #CreativeWritingChallenge
Objective: Students will develop their creativity through this this challenge that allows them to unleash their imagination. The project is designed to promote independent learning, self-expression, and problem-solving.
Discover writing prompts and exercises, that will teach you how to craft characters, vivid settings, and plots.
How to write a short story descriptively:
Elements that can make a story go wild with your imagination:
Exercise 1: Imaginative Character Creation
- Objective: Develop imaginative characters by drawing inspiration from the animal kingdom.
- Collect images of various animals, including those on land, in the sea, and in the air.
- Choose an animal for your character. Think about the qualities and traits associated with that animal. Is it strong, agile, clever, or gentle?
- Describe your character based on the chosen animal’s characteristics. Write about their appearance, personality, and how they move.
- Think of a unique story situation where your character can shine. Imagine how they would react and solve problems based on their animal-inspired traits.
Exercise 2: Picture Prompt Storytelling
- Objective: Spark creativity and storytelling skills using vivid pictures as prompts.
- Collect a variety of visually stimulating images, such as landscapes, people, or unusual objects.
- Select an image that captures your interest or imagination.
- Study the image closely, observing details, colors, and emotions it conveys.
- Let your imagination run wild! Write a short story or description inspired by the chosen image. Create characters, a setting, and a plot based on what you see.
- Feel free to explore different genres, from fantasy to mystery, and let your creativity flow.
These two exercises can be adapted to suit students of all grade levels. They encourage imaginative thinking, character development, and storytelling skills while allowing flexibility for individual creativity and interpretation.
Create a Story Map:
- Creative Writing Application.
- Sticky notes for the Story Map.
- A list of prompts or inspiration for adventure stories (e.g. exploring a new planet, discovering a hidden treasure, solving a mystery).
Brainstorming: The student will brainstorm ideas and unleash their imagination. They can create a mind map, outline, or storyboard to organize their ideas and plan the plot, characters, and setting.
Are you ready to unleash your imagination? Turn your dreams into reality! The best creative’s will be featured for everyone to see at the end of year.